Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Thousand Miles

After days of anticipation, it finally came in a pretty 4 ft x 3 ft box. I didn't have to do much to put it together. A few screws here and there and it was ready to roll.

Exactly a year ago today, I purchased my first road bicycle. I hadn't really planned for it but it wasn't an impulse buy either. It just occurred to me that we live in an area where other people go out of their way to drive to get a decent bike ride and here I am not taking advantage of it. It's not outrageously expensive like other road bikes but I told myself, I could only consider this purchase worth it if I ride 1000 miles total for the entire year. A tall order for a beginner cyclist like me and weighing like I do, it was an impossibility.

Today, an entire year after I first put it together, the odometer says 1004 miles and my skin almost burned brown. For hardcore cyclists, this may not be much but for a certified couch potato like me, it is 1004 miles more than I rode last year. I wouldn't say I am in top shape but I feel so much healthier than I was the same time last year and I'm glad I made the right decision.



No comments: