Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Kenevil

When we moved here from Socal more than a year ago, we got Rafael a bike for him to ride around the yard. It took him several months before he rode it by himself (still with the training wheels of course). I guess he picked up the interest from school since they take turns with the bike and the competitor in him had to try it. A few months after, I felt he was ready to learn how to ride the bike without the training wheels. Bad idea. All it did was get him off the bike. He fell a few times and this took away the fun for him. Like a dutiful stage Dad, I persisted even if he only did it for a few seconds each time. I could see the improvement as he would ride for about 3 seconds with his feet on the pedals but then as soon as he realizes he's on his own, he puts his feet down. This happened for about almost a year until on Sunday, about 3 weeks ago, we practiced as usual. This time I asked him to pedal and pedal he did! I took him to the park the day after to give him more space to ride. This unleashed the wild side in him. He pedaled hard and recklessly fast. He would even sometimes let his feet rest on the top tube to show off!

Deep inside, I am beaming with pride but can't help but look ahead. Is this how he's gonna be when he learns to drive a car?

For now, I am content seeing him enjoy himself. Last week we got him a new 16-inch bike as the old one is too small for him now. Below are a few photos of Mr Kenevil.











No comments: